Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Birthday tragedy ... !!

I was in the middle of a conversation with one of my friends who was celebrating his birthday. When I asked him his age, he told me that it was his 26th birthday. When I asked him his birth year, he told me it was 1982. I didn't speak for the next 10 minutes or so. I don't know what struck me but I felt weird about the way we celebrate birthdays. It was like someone hitting me with a rock. I couldn't quite fathom the fact that the day we are born isn't counted as our first birthday. Think of it.

Citing my example, I was born on April 29th, 1982. So, that should count as my first birthday. Yes, we are talking numbers ... plain numbers and not AGE. So, I should be celebrating my 28th birthday in 2009 and not my 27th. Yes, I will be 27 ... but that's my age. I would say AGE and BIRTHDAY COUNT are 2 completely different entities. I feel its grave disrespect to the day that we are born as to not count it as our first birthday.

In essence, the birthdays that follow the first are not actually birthdays because ... If you take the simple English meaning, BIRTHDAY translates to THE DAY YOU ARE BORN. 'Anniversary' or 'Remembrance' may be better words for it.

I cant strike out one birthday from my life ... I just cant ... especially if its the reason I live today ... Cheers ... !!

1 comment:

Vikash Kumar said...

Wow!! never thought of it that way .. you actually have a very valid point.. I also don't want to forget one & the most imp birthday of my life :) .. and perhaps nobody would.